‘chatter matters’™ week 2017
Celebrating Children’s Communication across Warwickshire
What went on?
Nurseries and Children’s Centres across Warwickshire joined together to get their children and families singing nursery rhymes. Here are a few examples:
- Display boards were created in clinics, nurseries and children’s centres using home-made bunting to show what ‘chatter matters’™ week is all about.
The children at Ducklings and at Willow Brooke nurseries joined up across the age range for a daily song for #singasongofsharing
Happy Tykes Pre-School posted the songs of the day on their facebook page. Chilvers Coton Community Infant School and Nursery invited their children’s parents in each day to join in with the song of the day.
- Local libraries shared information with families who visited
- The Big Red Bus visited Lillington and shared information and advice to families who came aboard
- ‘chatter matters’™ went out and about to town centres, local playgroups and even ‘International Women’s Day’ at the Sydni Centre in Leamington Spa.
- The Family Information Service recorded and shared 6 videos of the county council staff singing nursery rhymes at their office! See their facebook or twitter page to watch them!
What was shared?
- Over 90 resource packs were distributed to our ‘time to talk’™ settings which included balloons, leaflets, posters and stickers.
- Our new ‘chatter matters’™ videos were shared and viewed across social media giving important preventative messages to families of young children.
- Warwickshire’s local press shared information about ‘chatter matters’ week
- The new ‘being bilingual’ poster and leaflet was distributed across the County.
‘time to talk’™ champions were provided with resource packs to use during ‘chatter matters’™ week. It included posters, flyers, balloons, stickers.
This is what was inside!
We also celebrated ‘chatter matters’™ week by singing a song every day at 11am (or thereabouts!). The aim was to get the whole county singing together, wherever you were. We’d love to hear all about it too so do contact us if you have a story to share.
Here are the five songs of the week. We chose five songs that linked beautifully with our main strategies:
To celebrate ‘chatter matters’™ week we invited families, early years settings and schools to join us in a daily song, every day of ‘chatter matters’™ week.
We also celebrated ‘chatter matters’™ week by decorating our settings with bunting. There were two types to print out, or champions could get creative by making their own from old material or paper or whatever they could find!
Our champions also created language enrichment activities to extend from songs and we have collated them here. Feel free to print and share these ideas!
And here are some extension ideas for the five songs of the week for #singasongofsharing too.
Thank you to everyone for another great ‘chatter matters’™ week!